From the 1920s through the 1950s, Gretsch flagship drum set was the legendary Broadkaster Series. It featured a thin, three-ply shell and produced what was to be, “That Great Gretsch Sound.” Today, in the Gretsch Drum Factory in Ridgeland, South Carolina, USA, with the help of advanced drum-making techniques, the Broadkaster has returned, bringing with it all of sonic brilliance of its namesake.
Broadkaster shells are made with a North American maple/poplar/maple formula. Each shell includes an interior-ply scarf joint that supplies added structural integrity to thin, musical shells. Like all USA-made Gretsch drums, shell interiors are finished with classic Gretsch Silver Sealer. The shell is hand finished with the exclusive reverse roundover bearing edge, which allows greater surface contact between the bearing edge and drumhead. The result is tone that is incredibly deep and warmth.
Broadkaster toms and snare drums are outfitted with Gretsch’s “302” 3.0mm, double flanged steel hoops. These hoops are similar to “Stick Chopper” hoops used in the 1950s, but are constructed from a heavier gauge steel to stand up to today’s more assertive playing styles. The 302 hoop helps create a more open tone than a die-cast hoop and adds ambient overtones to the overall tonal characteristic.
This Vintage hardware package features hardware component styles used on 1950s-era Gretsch kits, including drum mufflers, floor tom leg brackets, Rail Consolette tom holder, spurs, bass drum T-rods, throw-off, key holder and Remo® Fiberskyn bass drum logo heads.
Like its legendary predecessors from the 1950s, today’s Broadkaster faithfully produces warm, dense and punchy tones. Thanks to the modern manufacturing advances and finishing technology, today’s Broadkaster has even greater dynamic response and sonic presence than the originals.
- 3-ply North American maple/poplar, Silver Sealer interiors
- “Reverse Roundover"
- Snare: Gretsch "302" double-flanged
- Toms: Gretsch "302" double-flanged
- Bass: Maple with matching lacquer or inlay
Hardware (Vintage Build):
- Direct-to-Shell Clip Mount Tom Suspension
- Gretsch G423VMT Floor Tom Brackets with 9.5mm diameter legs
- Gretsch Batter and Resonant Mufflers
- Gretsch G4966MT Vintage Bass Drum Spurs
- Gretsch GVRMMT Rail Mount Consolette with clip mount
- Gretsch G5454TMT T-Handle Bass Drum Tension Rods
- Gretsch G5430MT Resonant Bass Drum Muffler,
- G5463 Die Cast Bass Drum Claws,
- Gretsch Microsensitive Throw-Off,
- Snap-in Drum Key Holder in Snare Drum
- Snare: Coated Gretsch Permatone by Remo Batter, Clear Gretsch Permatone by Remo Batter
- Toms: Coated Gretsch Permatone by Remo Batter, Clear Gretsch Permatone by Remo Batter
- Bass: Coated Powerstroke Permatone by Remo Batter, Remo White Permatone batter with 1950s-style Gretsch Broadkaster logo (Standard), Coated Remo Fiberskn batter with 1950s-style Gretsch Broadkaster logo (Vintage)