Nord Stage 2 Ex
Nord Stage 2 EX Compact features a 73-note Semi Weighted Waterfall keyboard (E-E).
Nord’s outstanding new Factory Bank features 5 Grand Pianos, 7 Upright Pianos, 11 Electric Pianos, Clavinet, Harpsichords and a vastly improved Nord Sample Library selection including great new Strings, Choir and Folk instruments.
The Nord Stage 2 EX features our award winning Piano, Organ and Synthesizer technologies combined with a well thought-out, user friendly interface, a choice of premium keybeds and an almost obsessive level of quality control. The Stage 2 EX truly sets itself apart as an instrument for the professional performing musician.
- 1 GB memory for the Nord Piano Library
- State-of-the art sample-based Acoustic and Electric Pianos
- Advanced String Resonance (Gen 2)
- Long Release option
- Dynamic Pedal Noise via optional Nord Triple Pedal
- 380 MB for the Nord Sample Library
- Powerful Classic analog, FM and Wavetable synthesis
- Unison mode
- Master Clock
- B3 Tone-Wheel simulation
- Rotary Speaker simulation
- Faithful simulations of classic Vox and Farfisa organs
- Digital LED Drawbars for easy overview of active drawbar settings.
- Comprehensive Effects section
- Single-function control knobs and instant visibility of current settings
- External section allowing the Nord Stage 2 EX to serve as a master keyboard
- Expanded Live Mode with 5 locations
- USB-MIDI. No driver required for Mac OS X. WHQL certified driver available for Windows.
The Stage 2 EX has three sound generating sections; Piano, Organ and Synthesizer, all of which can be used simultaneously. Furthermore, the Nord Stage 2 EX has 2 separate slots allowing you to have 2 Pianos, 2 Organs and 2 Synths at the same time for massive sonic flexibility.
NEW FACTORY SOUND BANKS
The Nord Stage 2 EX features a brand new Factory Sound Bank with both new sounds in the Piano Library as well as a completely updated and refined selection of sounds from the Nord Sample Library. We've also optimised our sounds allowing you to fit even more sounds without comprising playability.
New sounds include:
- DX Electric Pianos
- Folk instruments
Piano SectionThe Stage 2 EX Piano section features our state-of-the-art sampling techniques that capture the extraordinary nuances and real character of the individual source instruments. Combined with the Advanced String Resonance that reproduces the sound of the piano strings resonating at their fundamental or harmonic frequencies when other strings are played, and compatibility with the optional Nord Triple Pedal that adds Dynamic Pedal Noise – the result is breathtaking realism and an unsurpassed expressiveness.
In addition to vivid acoustic Grand and Upright pianos, the Piano section also features some of the finest, most desirable vintage electric pianos. The Stage 2 EX’s piano sounds are future-proof thanks to its compatibility with the Nord Piano Library. This free online library is continuously updated with both upgraded existing pianos and all-new pianos to keep your instrument constantly renewed.
A Long Release-mode adds a slightly longer release, more suitable for legato playing, emulating a looser damper tension in an acoustic or an electromechanical instrument.
Nord Triple Pedal
The Nord Triple Pedal (optional accessory) features our unique dynamic sustain pedal that enables the use of half-pedalling and "release and catch" techniques, as and also includes Sustenuto and Soft Pedals. The Nord Triple Pedal also recreates the mechanical sounds of lifting and releasing the damper mechanism, producing the characteristic thomp and sizzle sounds. The Pedal Noise feature responds dynamically to the force/momentum used when pressing or releasing the sustain pedal on the Nord Triple Pedal.
The Stage 2 EX's dedicated organ section is based on our award winning B3 Tone-Wheel simulations, based on thorough analysis of the 91 spinning discs inside several original instruments and painstaking work on understanding exactly how all the components interact with each other. The virtual circuitry reacts not only to the settings on the panel but also during the real time performance. The Stage 2 EX will faithfully reproduce the important foldback and energy robbing characteristics; the latter will produce the gentle compression effect that makes those lovely smears absolutely wonderful. There are 3 tone wheel modes that allow you to switch from a clean, factory spec’d instrument to a worn and battered workhorse with many years of touring.
Rotary Speaker simulation
The vintage Rotary Speaker simulation adds an essential character to a live organ performance and features Slow, Fast and Stop mode as well as a Drive control. The Rotary Speaker simulation can also be used with the Piano or Synth Section.
Digital LED Drawbars
The Nord Stage 2 EX features Digital LED Drawbars, offering excellent overview over current settings and let's you easily change the drawbar settings while playing.
Transistor Organ simulations
The Organ section also includes carefully modelled simulations of two of the most famous transistor organs from the 1960’s, the Vox Continental and the Farfisa Compact.
Synth SectionThe Stage 2 EX’s powerful synthesizer engine is capable of classic analog synthesis, three operator FM synthesis, Wavetable synthesis and compatible with the Nord Sample Library. The Nord Sample Library gives Stage 2 EX owners access to the huge free library of world-class sounds, including the famous vintage Mellotron and Chamberlin samples. The included Nord Sample Editor for Mac and PC, makes it possible to create your own samples easily, and transfer them to your keyboard in no time, opening up a whole new world of possibilities!
Nord Sample LibraryThe Synth engine itself features classic analog synthesis with dual saw, hard sync and pulse wave modulation, three-operator FM synthesis with 32 different modulation frequencies, Wavetable synthesis with 62 waveforms and Sample based synthesis. A great-sounding multimode filter features 12 and 24dB low pass, high pass, band pass and notch filters. And with an Amp envelope, Modulation envelope, an LFO, and Unison control, the Stage 2 EX’s synth capabilities are hugely powerful, delivering amazing on-stage sound.
The Synth section also features an Arpeggiator that can be easily synced to the Stage 2 EX’s Master Clock for perfect timing with other elements of the Stage 2 EX, including its effects.
PROGRAMMING AND CONTROL
Programming and ControlTo make programming and on-stage control as simple as possible we have arranged the sound generators and controls of the Stage 2 EX into dedicated sections – Piano, Organ and Synth. Not only does this make for a very intuitive approach to programming but also instantly shows you which settings are active. There are no deep menus, no complicated screens to navigate. All vital functions are controlled by dedicated single-function knobs.
In addition our patented Pitch Stick and Modulation Wheel allow maximum musical expression and our efficient Morph Grouping technique is also included, allowing you to assign sound and effects parameters to physical controllers.
Extern SectionThe Nord Stage 2 EX wouldn’t be a master keyboard if it couldn’t control external devices with ease. The Extern Section is designed solely for this purpose, so that any MIDI-connected gear gets seamlessly integrated with the Stage 2 EX’s built-in instruments. Zones, splits and layers are handled exactly as if the external equipment was a part of the Stage 2 EX itself. All settings are saved together with a Program so advanced setups can be immediately recalled in real-time during a performance. You can even use the Extern Section to automatically transmit Bank Select and Program Change messages to your external units.
Each Fatar keybed is meticulously calibrated at the Nord factory to ensure an even response over the whole range.
Semi Weighted Waterfall (SW)
The 2 EX Compact keybed uses semi weighted organ keys with a rounded "waterfall" tip, brilliant for rapid organ shredding and synthesizer licks, but also plays nice with piano sounds. Key range E-E.
Effect SectionNo sound is complete without the proper use of effects. In the Nord Stage 2 EX we incorporated all the effects required to cover musicians’ needs. All of the three instrument sections - Organ, Piano and Synth - can be routed individually through the Stage 2 EX’s built-in effect units. Turning the effects on and off, and controlling the routing is easily done by a touch of dedicated buttons, readily accessible at the bottom of each effects unit. The Nord Stage 2 EX has a dedicated Effect Section for each of the 2 slots.
Here you can choose from Tremolo, two Wahs, an Auto-Wah, and an AutoPan. Use the AutoWah with a Clavinet for raw funk licks, create a psychedelic vibe with an Electric Piano on AutoPan, or give a Wurlitzer some body using the Tremolo. There is also a Ring Modulator on board, an effect used by many experimental and electronic musicians.
The two Phasers, two Choruses, the Flanger and a Vibe effect are modelled from the classic analog stomp boxes that define the sound of popular music. These swirling Phasers, metallic Flangers, and thick Choruses that are used by uncompromising professionals everywhere are crystal clear and faithfully simulated on the Nord Stage 2 EX.
A delay unit has been included to create haunting echoes or slap back effects. The delay also supports a ping-pong mode, and the tempo can easily be adjusted with the tap-tempo button, or synced to the master clock. The delay also has an Analog mode for creating those classic “warped” sounds when changing the delay rate on repeats.
Amp Simulation & Equalizer
This effect section combines a three-band equaliser with a sophisticated amplifier and speaker cabinet modeller. Classic amplifiers and speakers are a crucial part to make vintage Electric piano sounds come alive. Nord offers the famous sounds of speaker simulations of a Twin Reverb, a Jazz Chorus 120 and a Wurlitzer speaker. When no Amp Model is selected, the unit provides a neutral three-band EQ with sweepable mid and a crunchy overdrive.
A Compressor and a Reverb are placed at the end of the sound chain, to help you blend your sounds more naturally together. The Reverb unit has six different Hall, Stage and Room spaces to create different atmospheres for your sounds, while the Compressor helps you keep the overall mix tight and under control.
The Master Clock function makes it easy to sync effects to other elements, like the arpeggiator, LFO or even one of the other effects. You can easily lock the effect rate to a range of note values – make the delay do quarter note triplets of what arpeggiator is playing, while the LFO gently sweeps the filter up and down in half notes, all perfectly interlocked. The Master Clock can also be controlled by an external MIDI clock – perfect for syncing your parts to a backing track, including tempo changes!
The Nord Stage 2 EX supports the following pedals: Fatar, Yamaha FC7, Roland EV-7, Roland EV-5, Korg EXP2 and Korg XVP10.
- Master Level Control
- Wooden Pitch Stick
- Modulation Wheel
- 400 Programs - 4 Banks with 20 Pages each. Each Page has 5 Program locations
- Program Categories
- Program Sort Modes - numerical, alphabetical or by category
- 5 Live Buffers
- 2 Individual Slot Setups
- 3 Morph sources (Modulation Wheel, Control Pedal, Aftertouch)
- Global Mono output
- Programmable Transpose +/- 6 semitones
- Master Clock functionality with manual, external and tap-tempo rate control
- Internal and MIDI clock source
- MIDI over USB functionality
- B3 Tone wheel Organ, Vox Continental and Farfisa models with full polyphony
- 9 digitally controlled Drawbars
- Percussion controls
- Vibrato / Chorus control
- Two Drawbar settings per program
- 2-Part Multitimbral (2 manuals)
- 1 GB memory for Piano sounds
- Acoustic Grand Pianos
- Upright Pianos
- Electric Pianos
- Synth Pianos
- Wurlitzer A200 Electric Piano
- Clavinet D6
- Electric Grand Pianos incl. CP-80
- 40-60 Voices Polyphony
- 4 Selectable Velocity Curves
- Clavinet EQ controls
- String Resonance (Generation 2) on acoustic Grand Pianos and Uprights
- Selectable Piano Release
- Pedal Noise when used with Nord Triple Pedal (optional accessory) on selected acoustic and electric pianos
- Slot Detune functionality
- 2-Part Multitimbral
- Sample Playback synthesis: approx. 380 Megabytes of sample memory, up to 999 Sample Instruments.
- Analog synthesis: Multiple waveforms - including Dual Saw, Hard Sync and PWM
- FM synthesis: 2 & 3 Operator FM synthesis
- Wavetables synthesis: 62 waveforms
- 18 Voices polyphony
- Unison control - with no reduction in polyphony
- Amplitude envelope
- Modulation envelope
- 12 & 24 dB Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass and Notch Filter with Resonance
- LFO with 4 waveforms (square, triangle, ramp and sample & hold)
- 300 Patch memory locations
- Arpeggiator (Up, Down, Up-Down and Random). Range: 1, 2, 3 or 4 octaves.
- LFO and Arpeggiator synchronisable to Master Clock
- 2-Part Multitimbral
- Level control
- Zone (split assignment) control
- Effect 1: Ring Modulator, Tremolo, Pan, Wah, AutoWah 1, Autowah 2
- Effect 2: Flanger, Vibe, 2 Phasers, 2 Choruses
- Delay - with Ping Pong (stereo taps) and Tap-Tempo
- 3 types of Speaker simulations, JC, Twin and Small
- Tube amp simulation with adjustable overdrive
- 3-band Equaliser with sweepable mid. EQ ranges: 100 Hz, 200 Hz - 8 kHz and 4 kHz
- Rotary Speaker: selectable speed (Stop, Slow and Fast) and separate overdrive
- Effect rates/tempo can be synchronised to the Master Clock
- Reverb - 6 algorithms
- Compact-model: 73-key Velocity sensitive Semi Weighted Waterfall keyboard. Range: E-E
- Supports 3 split zones with visual LED indication
- 4 Assignable Audio Outputs - ¼", 6,35 mm jacks, unbalanced
- Stereo Headphone output - ¼", 6,35 mm stereo jack
- 1 Monitor input - 1/8", 3,5 mm stereo jack
- Sustain Pedal - ¼", 6,35 mm jack. Use a momentary pedal, like e.g, Roland DP-2, DP-6, Yamaha FC-4, FC-5, Fatar VFP1-25 etc.
- Sustain input compatible with Nord Triple Pedal (sold separately)
- Rotor Pedal - ¼", 6,35 mm jack. Use a momentary pedal or a switch type pedal
- Organ Swell Pedal - ¼", 6,35 mm TRS stereo jack. Use a Control/Expression pedal like e.g. Yamaha FC-7, Roland EV-5 etc.
- Control Pedal - ¼", 6,35 mm TRS stereo jack. Use a Control/Expression pedal like e.g. Yamaha FC-7, Roland EV-5 etc.
- MIDI In - 5 pin DIN connectors
- MIDI Out - 5 pin DIN connectors
- USB - type B connector
- Power Cord with IEC C14 connector
- User Manual
- Power cord
- Nord Sample and Piano DVDs
- USB cord
- Nord Keyboard Stand EX
- Nord Soft Case
- Nord Triple Pedal
- Nord Music Stand EX
- Nord Stage 2 EX Compact: 1070 mm (42"), 104 mm (4"), 302 mm (12")
- Nord Stage 2 EX Compact: 9,7 kg (21,4 lb)
*Spes subject to change without notice.